Not much baking this week due to illness but I did manage to get a practice Xmas baking in. These biscotti are fab…full of all kinds of crunch, chew, and flavor.
I need to play around with the first baking. Slicing would be easier if the logs were softer.
I put a ton of lemon and orange powered zest in.
No baking this weekend! Zoe’s gone and…I don’t know if this is illness aftermath or resurgence but I’ve had trouble doing anything but sleep.
However, earlier in the week I made some buckwheat, cornmeal, walnut, raisin scones:
They were really tasty and delicate. They would have been fine with a touch less sugar though they were perfectly delish. It could be interesting to muck with spices or toast the walnuts in advance. The buckwheat, per usual, didn’t come through. I don’t know what would happen if I ditched all the white flour as they were fragile as it was.
Compare to mom’s recipe these were a pain. You had to cut butter and chill them for 30 minute (!). And the oatmeal raisin ones are so good that it’s not like these are so much better. But they were different and tasty.
For Halloween I finally made witch finger cookies:
Of course, I wanted to do the “bleeding” ones with jam on the inside.
Whoof. That was a lotta work for eh. I didn’t use the recommended dough because again so much chilling in the fridge. But I think even then that filling them isn’t worth it. It’s finicky and messy and time consuming and it’s not like the inner jam dribbles or anything. A bit on the stump does the job.
They puffed and de-shaped more than I expected. Something to work on!
I made a couple of toothy bloody mouths with the scraps:
Baps are back on track though it’s clear that if I’m going to do half normal whole wheat that I need to boost the gluten:
I’ve made three kinds of peanut butter cookies this year and still haven’t hit the classic. These spread a lot:
Doing the fork cross seemed merely cosmetic.
UKIEPC disrupted my weekend and being sick made me slow moving today. Hence it being 23:34 when I got the baps in the oven. They were weird with me overdoing the whole wheat flour and forgetting stuff.
I also made some olive oil salted giant chocolate chip cookies. They came out better.
As a bit of tab cleanup, I made a spinach soda bread. It had soooo much oven spring:
It was supposed to be half parsley and have parmesan cheese, but I didn’t have enough parsley and no parmesan. So I just upped the spinach and replaced the cheese with this olive stuff I have lying around. The effect was a bit odd. I definitely need to repeat with the cheese.
I made pizzelle again though with cardamom and orange. I reprised the baps this time with half whole wheat. They came out quite wheaty and delish:
And to celebrate the SWSA award, I made some cake:
My standard chocolate cake with either a peppermint or orange cream layer topped with chocolate ganachey glaze.
I had this “foolproof” popover recipe hanging in my tabs for weeks. Now the surest proof that I’m no fool is my consummate skill at breaking such recipes, but this was ok. I made a half batch because I only have a 6 deep cup muffin tray and the full recipe produces 8. I did the greasing for 4 (melted butter baked on for 5 minutes) but had enough batter for six. It was an unintended experiment!
They didn’t look superimpressive but the came out fine:
I have empirical proof that their greasing technique works and you really want to use it:
I finally got the baps back to their original glory (for Zoe). The coarse meal crust is deemed an improvement.
Note that we ate three before I could take the photo.
I finally finally made cookies including the first pizzelle of the year:
And a half batch of giant salted olive oil chocolate chip cookies:
A half batch because I ran out of eggs.
I made the best pineapple upside down cake for Zoe’s birthday. It came out better than all recent ones since at least coming to the UK:
I couldn’t get ring pineapple so settled for chunks. I don’t think that’s what made the edge so carmalised.
I’m getting good at making my bread on Saturday but I don’t seem to follow through with Sunday cookies. I made The Baps:
I played with some half size ones. The key difference this time was having coarse rather than medium cornmeal. I like it a lot esp for the crust but also imparts a nice corn flavor.
I also made ciabatta, completing making at home everything we did in the class:
Not much to say. They were easy enough, came out nice and chewy, and a double twist is the way to go.